- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Dry Eye Treatment in Iowa City from Our Optometrists
A dry eye problem not only affects how eyes feel, but it can also impair vision if left untreated. If you face this issue, dry eye treatment in Iowa City at either of our two McDonald Optical locations can make life brighter and greatly improve your comfort level.
Causes and Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Around 30 million U.S. individuals have received a diagnosis of dry eye. It is one of the most common reasons patients visit our optometry practice. Although there are dozens of potential causes, the most frequent include:
- Computer and electronic device usage
- Certain autoimmune disorders
- Eyelid abnormalities
- Medications that cause eye dryness
- Neurological issues
- Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)
- Lowered production of tears linked to aging
- Environmental factors such as windy or smoky conditions
Some of the symptoms of dry eyes make everyday activities such as reading, using a computer, and watching television very uncomfortable. These are the most common signs:
- Eye irritation or redness
- Stinging or burning
- A scratchy feeling
- A sensation of grit or sand in the eyes
- Excess tearing
- Sensitivity to light
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
- Fluctuating vision quality and blurring
- Eyes that feel fatigued
Patients with chronically dry eyes face an increased risk of infections, foreign body damage, and serious issues such as ulceration of the cornea. Fortunately, dry eye treatment at McDonald Optical can help bring relief.
How McDonald Optical Eye Doctors Treat Dry Eyes
The first step in resolving dry eyes is finding the cause. Our eye doctors begin with comprehensive eye and vision exams. A number of tests evaluate tear production and function in individuals with dry eyes.
For many patients, treatment is a combination of professional care in our office and home care. Several medications address the symptoms of dry eyes. They include cyclosporine A 0.5% (brand name: Restasis®), corticosteroid ointments and drops, oral antibiotics, and antibiotic ointments and drops.
In-office procedures available are these:
- Lid expression to treat Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
- Punctal occlusion to reduce tear drainage
- Bandage contact lenses
- Therapeutic scleral devices and scleral lenses for severe ocular surface disease
Patients can take steps at home to improve dry eyes. Among the most useful are taking optometrist recommended dietary supplements, utilizing artificial tears and ointments, applying warm compresses, and using medicated eyelid scrubs. Improving the environment with devices such as air filters and humidifiers is also helpful.
Schedule a Consultation with One of Our Optometrists
Do you have dry eyes? Get relief and fill all your eye care needs at either of our two convenient locations. Our Iowa City eye doctors, Annette Nickel and Matthew Houck, and the McDonald Optical staff are here to provide the exact vision care you need. Call us today at 319-337-4995 to schedule an appointment!